There are some fast ways you can ensure your email list unsubscribe process is easy for members. Although there are thousands of techniques to improve emails, you may not be able to showcase your amazing email list talent if members had a negative experience when unsubscribing. Providing a difficult unsubscribe process can be a fast way to lose people who were possibly going to subscribe again in the future.
Why would a member unsubscribe from your email marketing campaigns? They may not have the interest right now in getting any emails from your list since they are busy or traveling. They may not feel the emails are aligned with their interests. There could be many other reasons.
Here are 7 ways you can make it easier to unsubscribe from email lists:
- During the unsubscribe process, don’t make the text box area for unsubscribing required. Do make it easy to fill out or skip over so you respect both user privacy and reasons they may not feel they need to explain.
- Don’t try to bury or hide your unsubscribe link and do make the link easy to click. Making the unsubscribe link difficult to find could just mean the user will send emails to their junk folder or create a filter to delete the emails.
- It should be easy to unsubscribe from emails fast. If an email list member unsubscribes and it takes more than 2-3 screens to click through, the experience can become frustrating. The person may think twice about signing up again when they have more time if the unsubscribe process took too long.
- Don’t require a full screen of check boxes when a user is unsubscribing. There are some instances where a company may have more than a dozen email lists to choose from with check boxes. But then again, there are many times an overwhelming screen of boxes to check and uncheck could be simplified.
- If a person has just unsubscribed but you add them to other lists, there is a good chance they won’t sign up again.
- Try not to spam email list members too often or send emails that look like spam. Not many email list members want to receive ad after ad. It is more ideal to send a useful, friendly email that provides interesting information with useful calls to action in ad banners, buttons, or links.
- This one is my favorite! After a pleasant unsubscribe experience, ensure the email list member is removed right away. There are some lists that reply with an autoresponder email to let users know it will take 7-10 days to be removed. You won’t have this issue if you choose HubSpot, Marketo, VerticalResponse, MailChimp, Marketing Cloud from Salesforce, or Constant Contact.
Issues when users unsubscribe from email software platforms can easily be fixed with good attention to detail, customization, and considering other email marketing solutions if needed. It helps everyone to respect the time of email list members, to remember they are real people, and ensure it is an overall pleasant experience when they are unsubscribing.